So since I am back and work and have the go ahead to WBAT in my boot. Ive started walking around with one crutch. I can do it fairly eaisly but have some slight pains around my heel/achilles area. I just recently saw the doctor (4 days ago) who said everything looked great and he took a heel lift out of my boot. Im attributing the pain to the stretching of the tendon now that a heel is out along with the scar tissue that has accumulated (the PT has also started to do scar massages) I am 4.3 weeks post op. Does anyone else have similar pains or experiences?

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. bunk on July 10, 2012 3:43 pm

make sure the crutch is on the opposite side of your bad foot! i was crutching incorrectly for about a week before someone told me.

2. kimjax on July 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Adam,
    I had pain for about 24 hours when adjusting my boot angles - longer on the last one when I went to “flat.” I tried not to do too much new WB “stuff” while the AT adjusted to the new angle. The scar massage usually is painful that evening - but actually feels better and looser the next day. I’ve got a couple lumps of scar tissue that are very painful - they’re are still working on breaking them up each week at PT. I’ve been a little more sedentary than others - so that may account for it. Walking a lot recently has really loosened the scar tissue and seems to help.

3. adam on July 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks for the comments! Yep ive been using the opposite side for the one crutch.. Ill give it another day to see how it feels

4. oldlady on July 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi Adam, not in a boot yet but boy does my heel hurt at times. I have trouble finding a comfortable position and then the next day everything is fine. It’s funny how the pain comes and goes.

5. baezlyons on July 10, 2012 10:08 pm

I had pain the first few days with one crutch, now it is better on day four on one crutch. I am six weeks post surgery

6. adam on July 11, 2012 10:01 am

Hi guys, Just got off the phone with my doctor’s assistant. He said to dial it back to 2 crutchs, said its just the leg getting used to the weight being put on it. Told me when the pain goes away try the one crutch again. My main concern was that something had happened,he asked “you didnt hear or feel any pop or somethign crazy like that” I said no and he said your good. I have PT tonight and want to bring it up with her as well. Our last sessions she said scar tissue can cause a burning sensation as well.. i guess that could be it too?? Hope everyone is doing well!

Name (required)