13 weeks and lumpy

March 23rd, 2017

Yesterday was exactly 12 weeks since my surgery. This has been quite a journey. For every bit of progress I think I’ve made I have a new discovery of something that is unpleasant. I wanted so long to be out of the boot and now that I am I am dealing with swelling and lumpiness at the incision site. It always feels kind of tight even though my therapist works on it and I also do my home care ¬†and stretching. I’m wondering if it’s going to always be like this! I see my doctor next week and I’m hoping he can give me some guidance. Walking is still a challenge and forget any distance. I have started riding the bike at the gym which I’m so happy to do but then I’m dealing with my ankle swelling, which really freaks me out since my blood clot issue. I just want this to be over and everything to be normal again.

6 Responses to “13 weeks and lumpy”

1. jennmel on March 25, 2017 7:05 am

Feeling the same though I’m behind you. I’m just about to hit 4 weeks. Maybe show a pic of your incision? Did it always feel tight? I’m going to check out the rest of your journey because I am feeling so similar to you today.

2. hopeful on March 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Sorry to hear, Lulu. Hope your doctor can provide some good insight this week. Keep us posted!

3. Matto on March 29, 2017 8:59 am

I am almost exactly at the same stage as you. In a few days I’ll be at the 13 weeks mark. Achilles is still tight and, although I can walk and am going to work, etc, I feel quite a ways from being able to walk without a limp. I’ve been doing gentle stretching every day and mixing in a little work on a stationary bike. Scar still has a slightly “lumpy” texture, which I think is fairly typical. I think your experience is in line with most people who have this surgery. When they say it takes 6 months to achieve normalcy, I think they mean it. Many people say it takes a full year for you to be back to “normal.” I was hoping to be walking normally at 12 weeks but I see that is not going to happen. Just stay the course and don’t re-injure yourself. Everything will continue to improve, but it happens slowly.

4. frankie88 on April 1, 2017 11:20 am

I had surgery and my Achilles is always tight. I thought it would eventually get better but so far it hasn’t. I’m going on over a yr and a half. Crazy thing is I just tore my other Achilles and decided not to get surgery. I’m also at 13 weeks right now and it already feels 100 times better than my surgical leg did at 13 weeks. I have full range of motion, did not lose any calf size, and definitely does not feel tight at all. It will loosen up over time I’m sure, but always keep stretching it once your able too!

5. Lulu41539 on April 1, 2017 11:58 am

Matto and Frankie 88! Omg! It’s so good to know others have the same experience. I keep thinking to myself is this just going to be it? I mean the tightness and lumpiness. I saw the doctor this week and he’s just like “oh it’s just the scar.” He said therapy will help it and it does for the time I’m there and then it’s right back to the same. It has gotten better but the more I walk the more it is bothersome. I talked to a woman recently who had this injury two years ago and all she could say is how slow the healing prices is. I literally carry around my stretch strap and do ankle alphabets all day trying to keep it mobile because when I sit still it tightens up so much! This is quite a ride! I’m so glad this blog exists to help keep us sane!

6. frankie88 on April 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes the healing process takes a very long time. I’d say a full two years before everything is completely healed. I’m going on a year and a half on my surgical leg and its still so small. I still cant stand on my toes single legged like I was able to. it is improving over time though. Just continue to strengthen and stretch. Allow your body to do all the work because are body is really a self healing system. The tightness is due to the surgery but your doctor will probably never tell you.