Dec
Filed Under (Uncategorized) by 2ndtimer on 09-12-2009

Lots of you seem to wonder what ultrasound treatment is good for, as part of PT.

This is what I found:

“During the remodelling phase of repair, the somewhat generic scar that is produced in the initial stages is refined such that it adopts functional characteristics of the tissue that it is repairing. A scar in ligament will not ‘become’ ligament, but will behave more like a ligamentous tissue. This is achieved by a number of processes, but mainly related to the orientation of the collagen fibres in the developing scar…  The remodelling process is certainly not a short duration phase – research has shown that it can last for a year or more – yet it is an essential component of quality repair…  The application of therapeutic ultrasound can influence the remodelling of the scar tissue in that it appears to be capable of enhancing the appropriate orientation of the newly formed collagen fibres and also to the collagen profile change from mainly Type III to a more dominant Type I construction, thus increasing tensile strength and enhancing scar mobility…”

Comments

dreams on 9 December, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

Hey..thanks with the info…I’ll be heading to my next apt. armed with as many arguments for PT as I can.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

ultidad on 9 December, 2009 at 10:30 pm #

Thanks for posting this - I totally forgot my intention of asking my PT today…

GerryR on 9 December, 2009 at 11:17 pm #

Very cool. Thanks. I meet with my orthopod Friday morning and plan to ask him when I will start getting ultrasound. I’ve seen the equipment there and saw one person getting a treatment. I want it.

Kath63 on 10 December, 2009 at 9:12 am #

Thanks for that. I too, will be asking. Do you know at what point during rehab it’s most effective? I hope I’m not too late!
Kath

2ndtimer on 10 December, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

My PT seems to love this gadget, and she has been using ultrasound on me from 6 weeks post-op till 5 months each time I saw her.
Now I am getting the muscle stim only. I told her I will work on my own and see her once a week, or less. I find the best workout now is the heel raises in the pool, there is a perfect step at chest deep water where I can do loads on one leg, no cheating helping with the good leg.

hjg3 on 10 December, 2009 at 5:03 pm #

when u move to 2 shoes do u stay in 2 shoes or go to the boot sometimes

2ndtimer on 10 December, 2009 at 5:07 pm #

I was most happy to ditch the boot… After spending weeks in it, once you can comfortably weight bear on your leg ( I could stand on one leg, on the injured foot by the time I was allowed to go to the shoes) so I did not look back… the first day is awkward, but you get used to good things!

leilulu on 13 December, 2009 at 8:42 am #

Thanks for the info. We are often ignorant of these things until we go through them cheers