Looks like it happened to me too.

October 23rd, 2008

Day after…

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized

Well yesterday I had the surgery to repair my complete tear of the Achilles rupture.  The hospital staff was very nice, and made me feel comfortable, which helped.  From the suggestion from Phu, and a few others here, as well as an Anesthesiologist that I know, I decided to get the nerve block.  I’m happy that I did, I was pain free for about 18 hours after the operation.  However, it wore off about 9 hours ago and man…the pain was pretty harsh for the next two hours.  28 hours since surgery, there’s still a constant pain, but it’s bearable now.  I have taken Vicodin, but it hasn’t helped much….but I hear sometime it takes time with that drug.

I’ve had my leg elevated above the heart, and I’ve been icing my ankle for most of today, and I’ll do the same tomorrow.  I’m glad I had a friend over to help me out, if I had to be home alone, it would have been a rough day for me….so for anyone who has not yet gone through this, do make sure you have someone to help you out for atleast 48 hours after having the operation.

Well that’s all for today, I’ll be updated my post as I go along.  Best of luck to you all.

8 Responses to ' Day after… '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Day after… '.

1. tiancai17 said,

on October 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Wow…my nerve block lasted 72hours post-op. So I was relatively pain free throughout except for the first night.

2. phu said,

on October 23rd, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Too bad your nerve blocker wore off so early. My nerve blocker lasted almost 30 hours. I hear the first 12 hours after surgery is the worst so I guess 16 hours is better than nothing. I had surgery on Thursday (10/16). Friday night through Saturday afternoon was the worst but the pain subsided enough for me to stop the Vicodin after Saturday night. I’ve been almost completely pain fee since. I just had my one week check-up today and everything looks good. Very little swelling and no infection or any problems so far. Everyone recovers differently and I’m not making any recommendations but, yesterday, I went to the driving range with a friend and I hit about 50 golf balls off one leg. My ball striking was 20 times better than I thought it was going to be and I really had a lot of fun with the challenge. I’m actually going to try to play 18 holes tomorrow afternoon. I’ll quit and just ride the cart and drink beers if golfing on one leg proves to be too difficult but I’m going to give it a try anyway. Not going to tell my doctor of course. After my checkup, stitch removal and new cast today, I went to the gym and lifted weights (upper body only) and I feel great. Haven’t missed any showers and I’m heading back to work tomorrow although I could have been back days ago. Just letting people know that being bed ridden for 2 to 6 weeks isn’t the only fate for everyone - I do truly feel bad for people who’s injury requires this, but I also want to let some of the newly injured people know that we don’t necessarily have to put everything we enjoy doing on hold either. We just have to do it a little differently for a while and we’ll probably be better at it when we return to full strength. Take care everyone, Phu

3. annieh said,

on October 24th, 2008 at 5:35 am

Hi,

I had the nerve block as well, so glad I did, mine lasted about 12 hours, so not too bad.

Keep that leg elevated….

Annie

4. Smish said,

on October 24th, 2008 at 6:23 am

123tech: The first 2 days post-op were the worst for me. This is the craziest injury. I hope you are doing OK .

Is anybody else having trouble keeping their fixed foot warm?

5. Mike said,

on October 24th, 2008 at 8:04 am

I agree that the first 2 days are the worst pain-wise. I watched a lot of the Daily Show and Colbert to keep my mind off it. The pain situation should improve pretty well over the course of the first week.

Good luck!

6. bones98 said,

on October 24th, 2008 at 10:18 am

Smish,

I was having trouble keeping my foot warm as well. I was told to put the ice packs behind my knee (under loads of pillows of course). That way I could pile on the blankets on where it wasn’t as tender and then also put a big sweat sock over my toes.

Worked for me.
    Allison

7. ganahlsearch said,

on February 8th, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Hey there!

By now I hope your doing good with your ATR, I live in Denver metro and just had surgery, Was curios to know who your surgeon was? I did zero research and took my wifes suggestion

8. 123tech said,

on February 8th, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Hello. I read your story, and I also had surgery about 2 1/2 weeks after the rupture. My surgeon was Dr. Hirose of Panorama Orthopedics. I’m very happy with him. I’m going on about 2 months of physical therapy, and the range of motion has increase a great deal, and I’m almost at full range of motion as my good foot. I’m mainly working on strengthening, which is tough at times, but I’m hanging in there. I hope things are going ok for you, and trust me….it will get better! :-) Give me a shout if you have any questions.