Looks like it happened to me too.

December 3rd, 2008

6 weeks post-op…2 shoes!

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized

Well it’s been 6 weeks since my surgery, and over the last two weeks, I’ve been walking in a boot, putting 100% of my body weight on it, and still using the crutches.  My orthopedic told me that at my next appointment, if all looks well, I could very well be back to wearing 2 shoes, so I was really hoping for this.  Thus I met with the orthopedic, he had me remove the boot, and try to walk….I took about 10 steps, definitely the ankle is really tight.  I pretty much planting my foot flat-footed as I walked, and I can’t really roll of my toes.  However, the orthopedic was happy with how everything look, and proceeded to tell me that I can ditch the walking boot and crutches, and start wearing 2 shoes again.  I do have PT, which will begin in 3 days, at 2-3 times a week.

I must admit though, as happy as I was to be back to wearing 2 shoes again, it was also a little depressing to feel like I’m moving around as I almost did when I first ruptured my Achilles.  I guess I got pretty good with the crutches, I was able to move pretty quickly, and now it’s 1 step at a time.  However, I look forward to the next month, hopefully I’ll be walking well again.

Good luck everyone!

November 15th, 2008

2 Weeks post-op follow up.

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized


I’ve been a little slow to update my postings, so it’s presently 3 1/2 weeks post surgery.  At the 2 week point I had another follow up with the orthopedic.  At this appointment, the wound from the surgery was healing quite nicely, so at this time they removed the stitches.   Afterward the orthopedic placed his hands under my toes, and had me apply pressure, which he then said it was at a 3, whatever that means….the previous week it was a 2.

So at this point, the orthopedic was happy with how everything was looking, and he placed me in a walking boot.  He instructed me to apply 50% of body weight for the next 2 weeks, and then the following 2 weeks I shall put as much weight as I’m comfortable with, however I should continue to use crutches throughout the entire time.  If all continues to seem well, my next appointment which will be a month from the day, I could possibly be wearing 2 shoes.

Well needless to say I’m quite happy to hear that I maybe wearing 2 shoes 2 months after the injury occurred, and 5 weeks after surgery.  This does seem quite fast, if things were to go this way, I was expecting at the very least 3 months to possibly 4 months. So far, I haven’t had any pain, and it feels great to be able to wash my leg again.  :-)  My orthopedic said that physical therapy may not be necessary, however I was told by a phyical therapist (family member) that I should insist on seeing a physical therapist.  Reason being is that the orthopedist may assume that everything is going well, and feels that I’ll get full range of motion, however that may not be the case, so I was advise to see a physical therapist, and let them make an evaulation, so we’ll see.

I would love to hear from anyone who has recovered without going through physical therapy, also has anyone been back to wearing 2 shoes in less than 3 months since the injury.

Happy recovery everyone!

November 8th, 2008

1 week post op follow up (10/22).

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized

Hello ATR world.  Well after a week of recovery since surgery, it was time to go in for my first post-op visit.  At the orthopedic office, they took off the splint, and clean my leg up a bit.  I took a glance at the ankle, not too badly swollen at all, and the stitches were pretty clean, so all was looking alright.  The Orthopedist was very pleased with how everything looked, he placed his hand at the bottom of my foot, and had be apply pressure as if I stepping down on a clutch.  I was very nervous about doing that, but I was able to apply some pressure.  At the end of the visit, the placed me in a fiber glass cast, and placed my foot in a 40 degree angle.    So all is looking well so far.  I agree with everyone about keeping your leg elevated after surgery, it definitely help keep swelling down.  I will try and add a few pics, once I figure out how to pull the photos off of my phone.  :-)

Good luck all!

October 23rd, 2008

Day after…

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized

Well yesterday I had the surgery to repair my complete tear of the Achilles rupture.  The hospital staff was very nice, and made me feel comfortable, which helped.  From the suggestion from Phu, and a few others here, as well as an Anesthesiologist that I know, I decided to get the nerve block.  I’m happy that I did, I was pain free for about 18 hours after the operation.  However, it wore off about 9 hours ago and man…the pain was pretty harsh for the next two hours.  28 hours since surgery, there’s still a constant pain, but it’s bearable now.  I have taken Vicodin, but it hasn’t helped much….but I hear sometime it takes time with that drug.  

I’ve had my leg elevated above the heart, and I’ve been icing my ankle for most of today, and I’ll do the same tomorrow.  I’m glad I had a friend over to help me out, if I had to be home alone, it would have been a rough day for me….so for anyone who has not yet gone through this, do make sure you have someone to help you out for atleast 48 hours after having the operation.

Well that’s all for today, I’ll be updated my post as I go along.  Best of luck to you all.

October 16th, 2008

Verdict day!

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized

Well yesterday I had my appointment with my Orthopedic so we could go over the MRI.  And as it was speculated before it’s a completely torn Achilles.  Yeah, according to the report of the MRI, it’s a mid achilles comlete tear, and there were also signs of tendonitis at the heel bone.  I was also training for a half-marathon, and to be honest, I can’t remember if I felt any soreness at my ankles from running.  My surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday, October 22nd.  The reality of the news defnitely made me sad a bit, but Im completely ready to start the recovery process.  I’m hoping that I can catch some winter activities by February….maybe I’m pushing it, but I guess I’ll take it one day at a time, God knows I don’t want to go through this again.

October 9th, 2008

Oh boy…something is wrong.

Posted by 123tech in Uncategorized

The morning of October 5th, 2008, it was a nice Sunday morning in Denver.  A tennis playing buddy of mine called me up, and asked if I wanted to play doubles.  I love playing tennis, and since I recently moved to Denver just 2 months prior from New York, I’m always happy when someone here wants to play.  So we’re all playing, and the first set was pretty quick….and we decided to play a 2nd set.  With about a little over an hour before the Broncos game, we figured we had atleast another set left in us, so we decided to play another.  3rd game into the set, my opponent hits a drop shot, and I go to push off my left foot and….”POP!!”  That “pop” sounded so loud, I knew something was wrong.  I immediately thought that I broke my ankle, even though I know I didn’t step ackwardly, I decided to go down on my back.

At this point I got on my back, and there’s a good amount of pain settling in now.  I must admit, I was scared to look at my ankle, because I seriously thought it would look all bent, and I would totally panic…LOL.  However, I was braved and I looked, and everything looked fine.  With the help of the other players, they helped me up, and go the car, and we headed to an urgent care clinic.  I didn’t feel like going to the ER, because I felt I would sit there for 3-4 hours, not fun!

Low and behold, they did x-rays, and no break, but it was speculated that I ruptured my achilles, and at this point, it’s about whether it’s a complete tear or partial. I have limited ability to push my toes down, but not sure if that’s the surronding muscles that’s allowing that.

Four days later, Oct. 9th, I get the MRI.  My scheduled appointment with the Orthopedic is set for Tuesday, Oct. 14th…..oh boy, verdict day!