Day 1: A World of Hurt

October 30th, 2018

I was great in the morning. No pain, had slept through the night with my foot elevated. So I got up. I was use to the crutches by now as I had had 4 days prior to the surgery to adjust to the god awful misery of them.

I felt a little like a had been run over with, not a truck, but maybe a scooter? Not too bad and the nerve block was still in effect. They sent me home with hydrocodone, two different laxatives (because, you know that condone really stops you up) and a blood thinner for blood clots. I didn’t actually end up picking up the thinner from the pharmacist since it was way too expensive (like $450.00 after insurance!) but used aspirin on a daily basis instead, which my doctor said was fine.

Husband said he needs to run to the office, just for an hour and then he’d be back home. Sure, hon…go, go. I’m aces! The nerve block starts to wear off around 11:00. Not too bad yet. Maybe I can get by on just Tylenol. Ooooo…okay, now it’s a little worse. Oh boy. I better pop a hydrocodone. Why is it not working? Oh god. My pain is at a 9 out of 10. Can I take two? I better not.

For the better part of the first day I was at a pain level of either 8 or 9 until the evening hours. Every 4 hours I popped another hydrocodone to no avail. It didn’t really touch the pain. Occasionally I would be at a level 6 or 7 but then it would ramp back up. It seems like I didn’t really get a constant level of pain management until it built up in my system.

I took the pain meds the rest of that evening and maybe one or two in the morning of the second day, but from then on I was okay on just Tylenol.

Other people have said it on here, so I will just reiterate. Do not wait until the nerve block wears off to start taking the pain medication. Just don’t. Don’t do it, You’ll regret it.

Also, elevate. Toes above nose people.

5 Responses to “Day 1: A World of Hurt”

  1. cserpent on October 30, 2018 3:42 pm

    Sorry I didn’t mention about staying ahead of the pain. I learned that from my mom’s various surgeries. Her doctor/nurses/PT always said “stay ahead of the pain”!!!!!

    And yes elevate and ice! Very important for healing and to reduce the pain. If they didn’t tell you before they sent you home you should ice behind the knee while you’re in the cast or boot.

  2. dan914 on October 30, 2018 5:43 pm

    Hi junebug, I am sorry to hear about your pain. Also sorry for you to join the ATR club. I am confused by your timeline. On your ATR Timeline it says 3 weeks, 4 days since the rupture, and 2 weeks 6days since start of treatment, and your post says October 30, Day One.

    What were you doing when you got injured?

  3. dan914 on October 30, 2018 5:49 pm

    ah, never mind, I found your other posts…couldn’t locate them before. Good luck moving forward. I look forward to reading about your progress!

  4. junebug on October 30, 2018 6:20 pm

    dan14, yeah sorry if it’s confusing. I just got the blog set up the other day so I’m going back and starting at the beginning of the ordeal so I record it all for all of its horrible posterity.

    cserpent, they DID NOT tell me about the ice behind the knee. I think that would’ve help. Well, next time (lordy, shoot me now, I hope not). I don’t know how you’ve done two of these things. You have a strong constitution.

  5. cserpent on October 30, 2018 8:43 pm

    Well ice behind the knee is also good while you’re in the boot since it’s easier than taking off the boot all the time.

    And I only did the 2nd one sooner than I planned because I knew how great my right foot felt and because my left foot was starting to hurt a LOT in a very short amount of time! I did wait over 10 years to get the right foot fixed - LOL! My left foot actually never really bothered me until I got the right foot fixed. Kind of weird. I don’t know if my pain receptors were just concentrating on the right foot or if the left foot actually started getting worse. By the time I had the surgery in February I was getting shooting pains under the outside of the ankle so I’m guessing a nerve was getting pushed by either the bone spur or the swelling of the achilles or ??? And I’m glad I got it done earlier since my doc said things weren’t as damaged for this foot. For my right foot a piece of the bone spur had broken off, which explained the random stabbing pains I was getting when I was just sitting and not doing much.

    And because I want to be fully healed in July so I’ll have no issues when I go see the women’s world cup in France next year.

    And, just in case they don’t tell you something else - get silicone gel to use on your scar once the scabbing is all gone. I assume they’ll tell you to start doing scar massage at that point (they should). So after I massage I put on the silicone gel to reduce the scarring - not so much for looks but more so I don’t have a raised scar on the back of my heel which will probably bug me while I’m playing soccer. The gel is much easier to use than the sheets, especially once you’re in shoes.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash

    I’m a 48 year old gal that loves to run, hike with my dog and do yoga. I am constantly on the go and have a hard time sitting still. This injury is slowly killing me.
    • junebug has completed the grueling 26.2 ATR miles to full recovery!
      Goal: 365 days from the surgery date.
      Achilles NYC Marathon Course Sidebar Image

      Click here for the Group Marathon Tracker